Cynthia Thielen

Monday, September 25, 2006

I am Honored and Humbled

I am honored and humbled that the Republican party has chosen me to pick up the mantle of that great American, Jerry Coffee. This race between Republican and Democrats for the United States Senate is just beginning. I’m not a place holder — I’m in this race to win.

I am running to be a Senator in a Republican congress and administration. I want to change our nation's energy policy and use my bipartisan skills to do this. I want to push our nation into energy self-sufficiency and energy security. There is an obvious link between oil and terrorism, and terrorism is the biggest threat to democracy our nation has ever faced.

In my 16 years in the legislature, I’ve been elected by Republicans, Independents and Democrats. I’ve proved I can work with both sides of the aisle. In the last four years alone, I’ve co-sponsored 38 bills which became law. Hawaii needs and deserves a Senator who puts people before party. We must use a less partisan way to move our nation forward.

Here’s 90 seconds about Cynthia Thielen. After finishing my freshman year at Stanford University, I dropped out to marry Mickey. When our fourth child started pre-school, I went back to school and finished my undergraduate work at University of Hawaii. I then obtained my law degree from U.H. William S. Richardson School of Law. I was a founding member of law review.

Ten days after being sworn in to practice law in 1979, I was in federal court representing the Protect Kaho’olawe ‘ohana. I succeeded in gaining access to the island for Native Hawaiians, na kupuna and supporters. My roots go deep with them.

In 1990, I challenged a Democrat incumbent and won and have been re-elected nine times to the State House.

I co-chair the bipartisan House women’s caucus and co-founded the kupuna caucus. I can work with both the local Democrat majority and stand up to fight them when I feel they are wrong.

Back to the campaign. I call for a debate with Sen. Akaka---not a fixed forum---but a real debate to be shown on all channels.

I invite 106,968 independent-minded Ed Case voters to support my candidacy. My web site is www.cynthiathielen.com.

Mahalo again, to the Governor and the Republican party. Let the race begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home